Game theory, mathematical economics, behavioral economics, consciousness.
Annals of Mathematics
- International Journal of Game Theory
- Games and Economic Behavior
- American Economic Review
Prizes and Awards:
Harvey Prize in Science and Technology (1983)
Israel Prize (1994)
- EMET Prize (2002)
- von Neumann Prize in Operations Research Theory (2005)
- Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences (2005)
The psychology of interactive decision making, Perception of Regularities.
The psychology of decision making; Introduction to cognitive psychology; Introduction to computers in eduction
ISF 382/20 – the dynamics of self-sorting; BSF 2015206 – the sustainability game: inducing and fostering environmentally responsible behavior; ISF 996/15 – be the tail of the lions or the head of the foxes?; ISF 121/11 – short-term regret and its effect on repeated decisions; GIF 2008/120 – the monitoring of changing environment
Cognition; Psychological Science; Cognitive Science; Journal of Experimental Psychology: General; Theory & Decision
thinking and problem solving; probabilistic reasoning; rationality; psychology of judgment and decision.
Judgment and decision making
JPSP, JEP, JDM, T&R, Cognition
Prizes and Awards:
- Polya Award (1984)
- Rothschild Prize (2018)
Constitutional Law, Law and Religion, Law and Social Norms, Empirical Legal Studies, Behavioral Economics, Moral Psychology, Conflict Resolution.
- Constitutional Law
- Law, Behavioral Economics and Public Policy
- Law and Religion
- Law and Society
Gorni Prize for an Outstanding Junior Scholar in Public Law
Stanford International Junior Faculty Forum
- Birk Prize for Excellence in Legal Research
- Lord Wolf Award for Leadership and Social Contribution
- Albert Einstein Award
- Heshin Award for Academic Excellence in Law by a Young Scholar
Israeli Science Foundation Research Grant
Cornell University Center for Social Sciences Grant Competition Award
- Next Generation Grant, Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School
- Journal of Empirical Legal Studies
- Journal of Legal Studies
- Management Science
- Regulation & Governance
- The Atlantic
- Harvard Business Review
Theoretical Computer Science; Fault-Tolerant and Distributed Computation
Conformal Inference for Binary Classification Trees, Recommendation systems for maximizing information over sparse data.
The main research interests of our group are the evolution and mechanisms underlying sociality and social behavior, we study bees as a model. To study these fascinating and intricate phenomena we integrate analyses at different levels, from molecular to social. In recent years, one of our main research focuses has been the interplay between circadian rhythms and social behavior ("sociochronobiology") but we also study additional important sociobiological processes such as size-related division of labor in bumblebees, the social evolution of juvenile hormone signaling, the interplay between sleep and social behavior, and the involvement of non-coding RNA and RNA editing in behavioral plasticity.
- Animal Behavior
- Biological clocks
Prizes and Awards:
- Fulbright Postdoctoral Award (1997)
- Nominated as a Joseph H. and Belle R. Braun Senior Lecturer in Life Sciences (2004)
- Prof. Hannah Farkas-Himsley and Alexander Himsley Prize for Excellence in in Life Sciences (2005)
- Clark Way Harrison Visiting Professorship in Arts and Sciences, Washington University in St. Louis (2015)
- The Hebrew University Rector List of excellent teachers (2018)
- Clock organization and socially mediated behavioral plasticity in honey bees. German – Israeli Foundation (G.I.F.), 2006-2008, (€180,000)
- CINCHRON - Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks (European Commission; grant number 765937), 6/2018 – 5/2022 (Euro 260,300/3,809,005)
- ICOB: miRNAs and the social regulation of behavioral plasticity. BSF-NSF; Integrative Organismal Systems (IOS) Special Program, 2013-2016 (US$ 670,000)
- Collective behavior of oscillators: From cells to societies. The National Academies Keck Futures Initiative (NAKFI), 2015-2017 (US$100,000)
- Toward an integrative science of collective behavior: A cross-species model for the interplay between individual variation and behavioral plasticity and its influence on group performance. The National Academies Keck Futures Initiative (NAKFI), 2015-2017 (US$100,000)
- Uncoupling internal clocks as a mechanism for plasticity in circadian rhythms. ISF 2015-2020 (INS 2,450,000 total)
- Bloch G, Robinson GE (2001) Reversal of honeybee behavioural rhythms. Nature 410: 1048.
- The Honey Bee Genome Sequencing Consortium (authors from my group: Rubin, E., Shemesh Y, Cohen M, Bloch G) (2006). Insights into social insects from the genome of the honey bee Apis mellifera. Nature 443: 931-949.
- Bloch G, et al. (2010) Industrial apiculture in the Jordan valley during Biblical times with Anatolian honey bees. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 107: 11240-11244
- Fuchikawa T, Eban-Rothschild A, Nagari M, Shemesh Y, Bloch G (2016) Potent social synchronization can override photic entrainment of circadian rhythms. Nature Communications 7: 11662; DOI: 10.1038/ncomms11662
- Porath HT, et al…, Bloch G (2019) RNA editing is abundant and correlates with task performance in a social bumblebee. Nature Communications 10: 1605
- Nagari M, Gera A, Jonsson S, Bloch G (2019) Bumble bee workers give up sleep to care for offspring that are not their own. Current Biology 29 (20), 3488-3493
- Bumble Bees Give up Sleep to Care for Young, Even When They're Not Their Own (Newsweek)
- מתקהלות ולא נדבקות: ללמוד מהדבורים על הקורונה (ynet)
- Biological Clock Of Honey Bee More Similar To Humans Than To Insects (Science Daily)
- Biblical bee-keepers picked the best bees (NewScientist)
- Honeybee Circadian Rhythms Are Affected More by Social Interactions (newswise)
Algorithmic Game Theory, Auction and Market Design, Pricing, Competition and Market Structure, Internet and Electronic Commerce.
Electronic Commerce and Advertising
Competition and Market Structure
- Business Data and Technology
- Auctions: Theory and Practice
I investigate the biological underpinnings of human social behavior. Specifically, I'm interested in the role of neurohypophysial hormones, sex hormones, and cortisol in regulating human cooperative, aggressive, and competitive behaviors.
The art and science of negotiation
From intuition to strategy: introduction to decision making
- Social decision making: Fairness, prosocial behavior and ethics
Prizes and Awards:
Abe Gray Prize, The President’s award for Excellence in Research, awarded by the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Rothschild Fellowship for postdoctoral studies. Awarded by Yad HaNadiv.
- “The De Finetti Prize” for the best PhD paper in the field of judgment and decision making, awarded by the European Association for Decision Making
- Israeli Science Foundation (ISF)
- Joy Ventures Academic Grant
- German-Israeli Foundation (GIF)
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology
- Management Science
- Journal of Experimental Psychology: General
- Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes
- If you have to hurt your workers, you would prefer to hurt as many as possible – and here is why. . “The Marker,” Haaretz, by Tali Heruti-Sover, 10.5.2021 (Hebrew).
- People tend to lie to preserve their credibility as truthful. Haaretz, by Assaf Ronel, 31.1.2020 (Hebrew).
- New study finds people may actually lie to appear more honest. Forbes, by Alice G. Walton, 31.1.2020
- People lie to seem more honest, study finds. CNN, By Meera Senthilingam, 30.1.2020
- With bosses like these – who needs friends? “The Marker,” Haaretz, by Nadan Feldman, 3.1.2018 (Hebrew).
- Being friends with your boss may cost you a holiday bonus, The Huffington Post, by Monica Torres, 20.12.2018
- Being buddies with the boss doesn't always pay off: Managers worry about appearing biased. USA Today, Charisse Jones, 21.12.2018
- Acting like Bert or Ernie, The Jerusalem Post, by Judy Siegel-Itzkovich, 30.11.2016.